I was talking on the phone with a friend, regaling her with funny little blurbs about the new kitten in my house, when something struck me.
Kittens are to cats what a new pot smoker is to an experienced one. Both of the young ones have all kinds of toys to play with, they lord over them, show them off and hide them oh so carefully from everybody they don't want to find them. When they get a bit of catnip they both like to secretly preen (or not so secretly) over it and horde it, saving it and savoring it, it's like you can see the thoughts in bubbles, "Oh! New stuff! This is *my* stuff! I will do this part now, save this for later, this one is for rolling around in and this one I will simply sniff for a while!"
Mature cats and pot smokers tend to have just one favorite toy and don't pay much attention to the new flashy ones. They also could give a fig less about playing with the stash, instead prefering to just do it and then walk away until they want more.
I am oddly tempted to name the kitten something very inappropriate because of this conversation though.
No comments:
Post a Comment