Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hush a bye (poem)

Four lines
All strung into a low melodic soft touch of voice 
I sing to him, the newest in the line
As I sang to his mother
 All the sisters
Night after night after night
Always the same request came
Hush a bye please
Over and over it was sung, I could
And probably have
Sung this in my sleep
It's a deep in my fabric song
Sliver of my soul sings this always song
My heart can cry it silently song
Knowing it was sung to me to the call of
Hush a bye please
Over and over in the soft
Whisper song of my mothers voice low and deep and with a
 Gentle shhhhhh afterwards
I imaging the knowing
Of a soft voice of my mother
As a child
Calling out to my grandmother who surely
Surely
Herself
Sung these four lines
A cadence of bedtime magic
To lull a childs mind to sleep
I wonder how far it travels back
This simple song
Four short lines
In the soft hush of mothers voices
And I sing it to him
In the rocker on weekends, from the living room
Doing dishes and clean up
He calls out
My voice answers
Hush a bye

No comments:

Post a Comment